Tuesday 9 June 2009

Goat and strawberry

It was Strawberry Fair last Saturday. This is most likely (since I haven't taken the time to look up the facts) the biggest fair in the Cambridge calendar. It fills Midsummer Common with people, food, music, stalls and fun. It the one day out of the year that no one will look at you twice if you walk around in a pink tutu and top hat (or something similarly bizarre). There wasn't a food culture missing representation. Neil and I tried a goat curry with rice and peas (beans). It was fabulous! So juicy and flavourful! It contained a few too many bones, but that wouldn't keep me from getting one again.
The best part of the day is that it brings out the hippies in full force. There are fair trade, free clothing (yes, someone put up a washing line with clothes and said, free to take), charity shops and look-what-I-made stalls a plenty. Unfortunately there weren't as many stalls as I would have liked. I could have gone wander shopping for much longer. I bought a birthday gift for a friend though, which made me happy. Neil and I stopped at a wraps and sandwiches stand for a bottle of water which made us so very happy. The label said that 100% of the profits from the sale of the water would be given to water projects for communities in need. 100%!!
We finished off our trip to the fair with a bag of donuts and a sit down by one of the stages. The music was rubbish unfortunately, so we didn't stay longer. Plus Christopher was visiting and didn't fancy braving the crowds. So we went home and danced the night away.

No comments: