Wednesday 12 November 2008

Overrated virtue

The other day I happened upon a blog that covered an interview with a writer. One of the questions intrigued me: "What do you consider the most overrated virtue?" Her answer was "neatness" which I can agree with. But it made my wonder how I would answer that question. The more and more I think about it the more and more I consider both sides of the rating issue. From my perspective neatness is very overrated (the dishes will be cleaned even if I leave them looking very dirty by the sink until I have time and enough desire), except when Neil is cooking and I wish he could just sweep up the flour he spills on the floor instead of overlooking them. He's not a slob, but he's not always the cleanest either. But neither am I.

So then I wondered how I would define virtue. I ran (by means of mouse and fingers) straight to Wikipedia, which defines it as "moral excellence." Now that's an intimidating definition. What a scary thought to be "good by definition." I can admire virtue, but I can't relate. So I guess I'm not going to answer the question because I think virtue itself is overrated, and that rating is extremely situational. But still it's good to consider virtues, because it's reminded me that I would like my admiration to be situational and not judgemental.

That's enough philosophy for today though.

No comments: