Sunday 30 November 2008

Turkey casserole (also known as hot dish)

This is my favorite way to use up turkey leftovers (and that includes turkey sandwiches). It's a hot dish (this is what we call casseroles in North Dakota and Minnesota) that my Mom has always made. Last year was the first year Neil and I cooked a turkey and I asked my mom for this recipe... I'm pretty sure this hot dish was the whole reason I wanted to cook a turkey in the first place. Thanks Mom.

Turkey (or chicken or ham) and macaroni casserole

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni (about 5 ounces)
  • 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (4 ounces)
  • 1 1/2 cups cut up cooked turkey (can substitute eaqual amount of ham or turkey if desired)
  • 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems & pieces, drained (or I use a a couple handfuls of fresh cut into slices)
  • 1/4 cup chopped pimento (optional, and I've never eaten it with pimento)
  • 1 can (10 1/2 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup (My mom usually substitutes mushroom soup)
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/2 tsp salt (My mom and I usually omit this because canned soup has enough salt in our opinions)
  • 1/2 tsp curry powder

Instructions:
Heat oven to 350 F/175 C. Mix all the ingredients in an ungreased 1 1/2 quart casserole dish. Cover tightly and bake for 1 hour.

All the ingredients are usually in my cupboard (except the turkey) but last year I didn't have curry powder so I substituted a sachet of curry seasoning from a packet of ramen noodles which worked perfectly. One other tip is that I usually halve the recipe because Neil isn't fond of pasta or casseroles, which works just fine but takes nearly just as long to cook (about 45 to 50 minutes).

Enjoy!

No comments: